Laura Dekker

Aici povestim pe unde am fost cu barcile noastre sau pe unde ne facem planuri de duca!
skipper
Flottillenadmiral
Flottillenadmiral

Re: Laura Dekker

Mesaj necitit de skipper »

Acum Miss Dekker e in Atlantic indreptandu-se spre St. Martin unde e asteptata sa ajunga pana la sfarsitul lunii. Mai are numai 1700 de mile!
Ubi allii finiverant, inde incipimus nos!

skipper
Flottillenadmiral
Flottillenadmiral

Gata, a ajuns ieri in ST Martin.

skipper
Flottillenadmiral
Flottillenadmiral

Desigur ca emuli se gasesc usor, chiar si in aviatie a vrut unul sa fie cel mai tanar in jurul lumii.
Caz tipic de ghinion: n-a putut sa decoleze ca l-au oprit vamesii pantru ca isi uitase pasaportul acasa!

Sa ne radem!

OH S—’: Round-the-world pilot delayed in Canada after forgetting his passport at home

20-year-old Jack Wiegand’s record-setting solo plane flight around the world, eastwards from Fresno, Calif., began with clear skies over the Rockies, a visit to his fraternity brothers at the University of Colorado, a stop in St. Louis, the City of Flight, and a disorienting walkabout in New York City.

Then it was north, as radio chatter went bilingual and he wriggled into an immersion suit in case of a ditching in the Hudson Strait. Ahead of him lay Iceland, Egypt, Bangladesh, Thailand, Japan, Russia and home.

Arriving in Iqaluit, however, he realized he left behind a crucial piece of the globetrotter’s kit — passport. “OH S—,” he blogged.

So he did as any adventurer would, caught in a pickle in a foreign land. He called his mom, who found it where he left it, on the photocopier.

The Iqaluit customs officers who met him on the tarmac in an SUV “were very very friendly, very understanding. They kind of let me off the hook,” Mr. Wiegand said yesterday by phone after some sightseeing in London, before Monday’s leg to Rome.

“Six months prior to the trip, everything was preparation, you know? It was all doing flight training, getting everything absolutely perfect, and, you know, to forget something like a passport is just something that slipped my mind, I guess,” he said.

Fortunately, his eastward route meant explaining his predicament to stereotypical Canadians, rather than stereotypical Russians. Even U.S. border officials might not have been so accommodating.

“That was the first Canadian customs I’ve gone through,” he said.

He said they accepted his story, far-fetched though it was, about his effort to be the youngest pilot to circumnavigate the globe solo. He also had his driver’s licence and photocopies of the passport, which helped.

“They just said, all right, since we have a copy of your passport, and we have your driver’s licence, all that good stuff, and because we share borders and we’re such good allies, just let us know what you’re doing, and let us know when you receive it,” he said.

His mother had to put it in the mail. “She wasn’t mad at me,” he said.

“I was beating myself up for forgetting it. [The customs officers] were kind,” he said. “I don’t think I could have done that anywhere else in the world.”

He checked into a “homey” bed and breakfast and rode out a blizzard doing work on his computer and relaxing. Four nights later, passport in hand, he was off to Iceland. He is expected back in California on June 8.

His blog, which charts his progress at solo2013.com, hints at a possible explanation for the near-disaster, a typically youthful trait of which mothers are traditionally critical — procrastination.

The last night before his May 2 departure, “was stressful to say the least. I made the unfortunate decision to procrastinate until the last minute on packing clothing and loading the plane full of all the necessary equipment (life raft, immersion suit, extra oil, water, spare parts, snacks, MRE’s [ready to eat meals], etc.) I spent the entire day running errands with my girlfriend Eden Dolarian. Yesterday was definitely a bittersweet feeling.

I was successful in holding off the nerves until the day before. I was excited to be leaving on my around the world journey but was also getting a little sad that I would be leaving family and friends for such a long time… The morning was full of many emotions; I am not even usually an emotional guy.”

His flight, in a Mooney Ovation2 GX, is aimed at the Guinness World Record for the youngest solo circumnavigation, and is for the benefit of Big Brothers Big Sisters and International Agri-Centre Ag-Warriors, which arranges work for veterans in agriculture.

Scrie răspuns